The purpose of this module is to provide aspirant law students and future paralegals with a holistic overview of the essential activities occurring in the typical attorney’s office. While theory is discussed, the focus is on the acquisition of practical skills.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
For those with the skills, drive and initiative, the legal work environment is a place of great opportunity and reward. Students interested in commencing or furthering a career within the legal environment should attend.
Lectures are conducted once a week in the evening or on a Saturday morning over 13 weeks.
The SLP fee includes all programme material, which becomes the property of the student. This material constitutes a valuable source of ongoing reference.
The completion of assignments, tests and examinations.
THE INDEPENDENT INSTITUTE OF EDUCATION (THE IIE) - ACCREDITED BY THE BRITISH ACCREDITATION COUNCIL
The IIE has been internationally recognised and accredited by The British Accreditation Council (BAC). The BAC has been responsible for setting Standards within the independent further and higher education sector for 25 years. Their accreditation is held by hundreds of colleges in the UK and overseas. They provide the leading mark of educational quality for the sector, which is used by students, parents, agencies and beyond as a guarantee of standards. For more information please visit http://www.the-bac.org
*Please note that content is subject to change
Students should meet the following requirements:
- Be proficient in English.
- Should have three to four years work experience.
- Must be able to prepare for lectures and engage in self-directed study outside the classroom and be prepared for dynamic discussion in the classroom.
Students to demonstrate:
- An understanding of the structure of the South African legal professions.
- A basic proficiency in the administrative systems encountered in the typical attorney’s office.
- A basic knowledge of communication systems and methods.
- A basic knowledge of attorney’s accounts and common accounting systems.
- A basic knowledge of a civil court documents and procedure.
- A basic knowledge of debt collections, administration of estates, wills, notarial documents, affidavits, powers of attorney and conveyancing
Legal Office Support is an SLP that is certified by The Independent Institute of Education (The IIE).
Varsity College is an educational brand of The IIE. Students enrolled for this SLP can apply, on successful completion, to be exempt based on recognition of prior learning from the equivalent module on The IIE Higher Certificate in Legal Studies programme.
All SLPs available through Varsity College’s The Business School have been specifically designed for working adults. These SLPs differ from The IIE full qualifications also available through Varsity College which are registered on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF). Before registration students must ensure that the programme selected best suits their individual learning and workplace objectives.