The Management Development Programme is designed for managers seeking to enhance their management skills.
The turbulent business environment of the 21st century is a source of constant change and intense competition. The pressure of business efficiency lies mostly on managers who are expected to lead their teams effectively and who have to foster higher levels of team performance. At this level of management, innovative strategic thinking and authentic people management, which is an attitude as much as it is a skill, are trademarks of effective managers.
The skill of effective management begins with the understanding and application of appropriate managerial principles firmly grounded in both research and practice. This programme therefore aims to provide the framework within which to apply such principles to one’s workplace. It challenges the individual to think beyond existing frameworks and fosters innovative thinking for sustainable competitive advantages.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
- Individuals currently in new to middle management positions.
- Individuals managing junior managers.
- Entrepreneurs looking to expand their business and who require support in strategic planning and implementation.
Lectures are conducted twice a week in the evenings or on a Saturday morning over 9 months.
The short learning programme fee includes all programme material, which becomes the property of the student. This material is a valuable source for ongoing reference.
Submission of a portfolio of evidence or an assignment is required after each module is completed.
The programme aims to achieve the following:
- Build knowledge and understanding of the theories and principles required for effective business leadership.
- Enhance the ability to analyse the business environment and generate and evaluate strategic options for a business.
- Interpret financial statements and understand managerial finance to support decision making.
- Lead and manage people towards achieving business goals.
- Enhance the ability of critical thinking, creativity and innovation in business decision making.
Leadership & People Management
- The impact of individual diversity and applying the principles of diversity management for effective teamwork.
- Principles of organisational psychology used to foster high employee performance. These principles include: the principles of human development, personality, perception, attribution, self-image, motivation and performance management.
- Group behavioural dynamics in the workplace.
Principles of Economics
- The nature of demand and supply and application of this understanding to business decision making.
- Theory of exchange rates and interest rates to business decision making.
- Market structures and its influence on strategy formation.
- Nature and behaviour of costs, total costs, average costs and marginal costs.
- Concepts and principles of Operations Management in the business environment.
- The planning, organising, leading and controlling of processes of Operation and Production Management to ensure inputs translate to the required outputs within the business entity.
- Integration of Operational Management practices to meet business requirements within the operations of the business entity.
Finance for Managers
- Types of business structures and the objectives of each.
- Interpretation of financial information to facilitate informed decision making.
- Budgeting and costing techniques within an organisation.
- Analyses and interpretation of financial results to facilitate sound financial and investment decisions.
THE INDEPENDENT INSTITUTE OF EDUCATION (THE IIE) - ACCREDITED BY THE BRITISH ACCREDITATION COUNCIL
The IIE has been internationally recognised and accredited by The British Accreditation Council (BAC). The BAC has been responsible for setting Standards within the independent further and higher education sector for 25 years. Their accreditation is held by hundreds of colleges in the UK and overseas. They provide the leading mark of educational quality for the sector, which is used by students, parents, agencies and beyond as a guarantee of standards. For more information please visit
*Please note that content is subject to change