Project Management has become a critical operational tool for any manager who has to meet tight deadlines with limited resources.
Managing short lead-times and on-time delivery systems is a distinctive business competence. The application of Project Management techniques will help virtually any business improve its performance.
This Short Learning Programme focuses on project management techniques in the context of planning and implementing projects through effective people management. Theoretical content is balanced with a strong accent on practical application.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Any manager or aspirant manager whose position requires:
- The planning and completion of projects in the shortest possible time.
- The containment of costs within project budgets.
- The responsibility of ensuring that quality specifications are met.
- The co-ordination and control of those activities necessary for the completion of projects.
Lectures are conducted once a week in the evening or on a Saturday morning over 16 weeks.
The Short Learning Programme fee includes all programme material, which becomes the property of the student. This material constitutes a valuable source of on-going reference.
Students will be required to submit an individual and group assignment.
Note: Group Work
Group work forms an integral part of the approach to the programme and enables the student to translate essential project management theory into practice.
THE INDEPENDENT INSTITUTE OF EDUCATION (THE IIE) - ACCREDITED BY THE BRITISH ACCREDITATION COUNCIL
The IIE has been internationally recognised and accredited by the British Accreditation Council (BAC). The BAC has been responsible for setting standards within the independent further and higher education sector for 25 years. Their accreditation is held by hundreds of college in the UK and overseas. They provide the leading mark of educational quality for the sector, which is used by students, parents, agencies and beyond as a guarantee of standards. For more information please visit http://www.the-bac.org
*Please note that content is subject to change
- Background and history of project management.
- Economic principles - project justification techniques; payback period; net present value; break-even analysis; financing and cash flow management; price, cost and estimation methodologies and strategies.
- Scope management - defining the requirements of a project.
- Work breakdown structure. Establishing work packages and responsibilities.
- Critical path analysis and optimisation. Defining the most profitable route to completion. Understanding and planning for variances.
- Project scheduling and time management.
- Management techniques - organisational requirements, team building, client/contractor relationships; Management and reporting structures.
- Effective project control - project implementation, project meetings, communication management, presentation and human resource management skills. Progress reporting, analysis and rectification of deviations from plan.
Project Management is a Short Learning Programme (SLP) that is certified by The Independent Institute of Education (The IIE) and endorsed by the Chartered Institute of Business Management (CIBM). Varsity College is an educational brand of The IIE.
Furthermore, The Independent Institute of Education is a Project Management South Africa (PMSA) Registered Education and Training Provider (RETP). All Short Learning Programmes (SLPs) that are available through Varsity College’s The Business School have been specifically designed for working adults. These SLPs differ from The IIE full qualifications that are also available through Varsity College and which are registered on the National Qualifications Framework. Before you register you must ensure that the programme you select best suits your individual learning and workplace objectives.